WTRL #155 – Two Bridges
Course Notes – 4 Laps – 28.9km
A new course to the WTRL this week, so no previous records to base predicted times on. From a DS point of view, this course is actually quite straightforward.
- Out the gate and over the Start/Finish each lap, turns should be possible or put a light strong rider on the drag from the beach for the team to follow
- BIG TIP here: don’t change gear during Esses, the change in cadence and power will get you dropped. Instead, stay in same gear and push over the inclines and take the soft pedalling on the slight drops. I suggest a P1/P2 W/KG figure for the team and just work to stay together.
- Once down and over the bridge/sprint, be mindful of the cobbles and minor incline after the villas, but turns should be ok
- On the start of the reverse KQoM, all stand and push together hard for 400m, until the left turn. You will have time to soft pedal and recover on the fast descent to Lap’s end.
- Rinse and repeat the above 3 more times, making a call on riders who might be struggling and trying to push the team to higher blob numbers as the race progresses.
This is a course where pacing pays dividends – stay (just) within the realms of the group’s capability as a whole early on and aim to build your pace on the crucial points on each subsequent lap. Use the relative calm as you head down to end of each lap to reassess. Don’t worry too much about losing a few seconds to teams in early laps.
Full Details below. Distances are full race distance, starting from the pens. Use the PRINT button for a simplified print out.
|0km||1.2km||3%||Out the pens and up the drag from the beach – use the time to get organised|
|1.2km||1.4km||First time through the Esses. Pick a gear that you can push over the rises, then soft pedal the drops. You will stay together much better as a group this way.|
|2.6km||2.4km||Should be possible to do turns now until the base of Rev KQoM, but watch the undulations around 3.8km past the waterfall.|
|5.2km||400m||max 9%||Starts to lift before the red marker and kicks up as you bend right – pick a W/KG for the group here to stay together, but climb is short so risk a higer figure as you have time to recover. Think Van Der Poel, not Quintana 🙂|
|5.6km||1km||Use thie time to regroup if necessary and get back into turns before the Finish gantry|
|6.6km||0.8km||End of the Lap – figure out who is feeling good and tweak as required.|
|7.4km||0.9km||3%||Back to turns – perhaps with one strong rider taking you all the way to the rock arch.|
|8.4km||1.4km||Esses. Pick a gear that you can push over the rises, then soft pedal the drops. You will stay together much better as a group this way.|
|9.8km||2.6km||Turns until the base of Rev KQoM, undulations around 11km past the waterfall.|
|12.4km||400m||max 9%||Stand and push to left turn with high w/kg for group.|
|12.8km||1km||Use thie time to regroup if necessary and get back into turns before the Finish gantry|
|13.8km||0.8km||End of the Lap – figure out who is feeling good and tweak as required.|
|LAP 3||TIME TO CONSIDER IF YOU CAN UP THE TEAM POWER BY 5-10W|
|14.6km||0.9km||3%||Back to turns – perhaps with one strong rider taking you all the way to the rock arch.|
|15.6km||1.4km||Esses. Gear Trick – stay together – watch for splits as people tire.|
|17km||2.6km||Turns until the base of Rev KQoM, undulations around 18km past the waterfall.|
|19.6km||400m||max 9%||Stand and push to left turn with high w/kg for group – no time to consider dropping those that struggle|
|20km||1km||Probably where a strong decision on Wait or Go is required!|
|21km||0.8km||End of the Lap – one last go around|
|LAP 4||MAINTAIN THE POWER – SHORTEN THE TURNS IF REQUIRED|
|21.8km||0.9km||3%||Back to turns – perhaps with one strong rider taking you all the way to the rock arch.|
|22.8km||1.4km||Esses. Gear Trick – stay together – watch for splits as people tire.|
|24.2m||2.6km||Turns until the base of Rev KQoM, undulations around 25km past the waterfall.|
|26.8km||400m||max 9%||Final really hard effort, as downhill to finish – really push the team.|
|27.2km||1km||NO rest now, push over the top and begin the Hero pull and race to the end.|
|28.2km||0.8km||Noting to do but shout encouragement|